Front End Course Creation
Front End course creation and editing allow instructors to edit course contents from the front end. Almost everything which can be done from the backend can be done form the front end. The front end course creation automatically creates and connects the necessary linkages between a course, a unit, a quiz, a product, groups and forums, thereby making course creation process a lot simpler and easier to maintain.
How To Open Create Course Page
There are many methods the instructors can use open a create course page.
- The instructor can use the direct URL link https://steamsyouth.org/edit-cource
- Instructors can also find the create course button in their profile menu.
To create a course, locate the Create Course button in the Course Directory. Click on it and you’ll see the create course page. Each section in create course has a description given on the right. Clicking an element automatically triggers its corresponding description on the right.
The course creation process is divided into 5 steps :
1. Create Course
In this step, a new course is created. This new course is in draft state.
- Course Title Delete the existing test and enter a suitable title for the course.
- Course Category Select a Course Category, in case you want to add a new category, select new category and enter the new course category name.
- Course Image Select a Course thumbnail image. This image is used in course snapshot and single course page.
- Course Description Enter a short description of the course. This is a two line description shown below the course title. This description is also used in creating new groups and forums. The main description and content of the Course can be added later on by simply editing the course form the front end.
2. Create Settings
These are vital settings for the course, which needs to be configured.
- Maximum Course Duration Maximum duration of course in days. Entering a value of 9999 or above shows “unlimited access” as time duration for the course.
- Course Evaluation mode Set evaluation mode for course.
- Pre Required course Set a pre-required course for the course. The course selected here needs to submit and evaluated in order to get started with this course.
- Drip FeedEnable Drip feed for the course.
- Drip Duration Set Drip duration for the course. The drip duration is time period between successive units.
- Course CertificateEnable Course certificate
- Certificate Percentage Set percentage out of 100. If students cumulative percentage of all quizzes and assignments is more than the value set here, she will get the certificate.
- Certificate Template Set a certificate template
- Course Badge Enable Badges for course
- Badge Percentage Set percentage out of 100. If students cumulative percentage of all quizzes and assignments is more than the value set here, she will get the badge.
- Badge Title Add a title for the Badge. This title appears when the user hovers over the badge.
- Badge Image Upload a Badge image. This is required to enable Badge for the course.
- Number of Seats Enter Number of seats for the course. The Seats comprise of students currently taking the course. Once the seats are filled, a new student would not be able to join the Course.
- Start Date Set a Start date of the course. If set to a future date, the Course begins when the Start date arrives, that is student will be able to join the course only after the start date.
- Course Group Connect a group if creating a new course it is recommended that you create a new group for the course. By default, the group created is a private group only accessible to students taking the course.
- Course Forum Connect a forum, if creating a new course it is recommended that you connect the group forum for the course. This will create a private group forum for the above group only accessible to students taking the course and in the group.
- Course Completion message Enter a Completion message, which is shown to the user when the user finishes the course or submits the course for evaluation.
3. Set Curriculum
In this section, Instructor creates or sets the curriculum for the course.
- ADD SECTION Add a new section in the curriculum. Clicking this button would add a Textbox in the curriculum section. Enter the section title in the box.
- ADD UNIT Add a unit in the curriculum. Clicking this button would add a select box showing all the units. If instructor privacy is enabled then all the units created by the instructor will be shown in the select box. To add a new unit select “Add New Unit” in the select box, which will show an input box. Enter the title of the unit in the input box and select Publish from the drop-down beside the unit. Once published the unit will be published and the drop-down controls will now show edit unit. Clicking on edit in the drop-down controls would take the user to the unit editing screen. Clicking on Delete would remove the unit from the database. Clicking on remove will remove the unit form the curriculum.
- ADD QUIZ Add a Quiz in the curriculum. Clicking this button would add a select box showing all the quizzes. If instructor privacy is enabled then all the quizzes created by the instructor will be shown in the select box. To add a new quiz select “Add New Quiz” in the select box, which will show an input box. Enter the title of the Quiz in the input box and select Publish from the drop-down beside the unit. Once published the quiz will be published and the drop-down controls will now show edit quiz. Clicking on edit in the dropdown controls would take the user to the quiz editing screen. Clicking on Delete would remove the quiz from the databse. Clicking on “remove” will remove the quiz form the curriculum.
- Save Curriculum Unless the Course curriculum is saved, the new units created and added are not a part of the course curriculum.
This allows the instructor to set a Price for the course.
- Free Course Set the course as Free. A free is available to all students accessing the course.
- Set a Course Product
- Select an existing product if the instructor wants to sell the course as a combination of courses.
- Select “No Product” to keep the course as private and manually control the Students for course
Select “ADD NEW PRODUCT” to create a new product and set the mode and pricing. If the mode is set to subscription set the duration of subscription in days. If the subscription is not enabled then the subscription duration is set as course duration. When a student purchases a course the subscription duration is set for the student. The access to the course is limited by subscription duration of the course, a post which the course goes into expired state and student have to repurchase a course product to continue with the course again.
5. Publish Course
Publish the course. If Administrator has given access to publish the course then the course will be published, otherwise, it will go into pending state, which the administrator needs to manually check and turn the status to Published.